Wording for Resources in Grant Applications
The Microscopy Core at Wake Forest University (WFU) provides training, consultation, and access to imaging systems for WFU and the surrounding area. The facility is split between two locations (main campus and Wake Downtown) to serve as many faculty members as possible. The main campus facility occupies 1050 ft2 of space and the Downtown facility occupies another 1000 ft2 of space. Both facilities include standard bench, clean hoods, and cell culture incubator. Further resources include:
- Zeiss LSM 880. This state-of-the-art inverted confocal microscope is equipped with 6 laser lines, 32 detector GaAsP array, and full incubation. The microscope also includes Airyscan Fast with resolution down to 150nm and frame rates of over 50fps. An automated stage allows for tiling and multi-position live-cell imaging.
- Zeiss LSM 710. This inverted microscope has two PMT detectors, 32 detector GaAsP array for spectral imaging, and 8 laser lines. Automated stage and incubation allow for 3D live cell imaging.
- Zeiss StereoZoom. This stereo microscope is capable of 260x zoom, fluorescence, motorized z for 3D imaging, transmitted and reflected light, and two sCMOS cameras (monochrome & color).
- Echo Revolve4. This fluorescent microscope can be used as both an inverted and upright microscope. It is equipped with 3 fluorescent LEDs, phase contrast, and polarization. A system has also been developed to image with the microscope horizontally with a custom build stage for imaging plants for gravity-related studies.
- Amray 1810 SEM. This scanning electron microscope is equipped with a Lanthanum hexaboride (LaB6) filament and elemental detection system.
- Other microscopes: Zeiss AxioObserver D1 inverted microscope, Leica MZ16 fluorescent stereoscope, Olympus SZH10 stereomicroscope, 5 Zeiss AxioLab upright microscopes, 4 Zeiss Stemi305 stereomicroscopes.
- Sample preparation: Hybridization Oven, Sputter Coater, Compresstome, Critical Point Dryer
The Microscopic Imaging Core Facility houses a custom-built analysis workstation with 1 TB solid state hard drive, 128 Gb of RAM, and a 2080Ti NVIDIA graphics card. The workstation includes a variety of software necessary for quantifying data (Fiji, Cell Profiler, Icy, Aivia 8.5, Zen Desk)